Our Favorite (Healthy) Late Night Snacks for Weight Loss
They say that there are two kinds of people in the world, those that like to snack late at night, and those who prefer snacking during the day. If you’re someone who enjoys a late night snack here and there, you’re not alone. Lots of people find that a few hours after their dinner, they get the urge to snack on something else. With all kinds of high calorie snacks available, it’s super easy to turn to an unhealthy snack when you’ve suddenly got a craving. Once in a while this is fine, but it isn’t a great idea to do on a daily basis.
If you’re prone to late night snacking, we’re here to tell you that there are healthy options for you that will help you stick to your weight loss goals! You don’t always need to reach for the potato chips or ice cream, but instead can fulfill your snacking need with something healthy that will keep you full until breakfast the next day.
Keep reading to learn more about:
- Why we snack late at night
- How to limit your late night snacking so you can lose weight
- Our favorite healthy late night snacks
Why do people snack late at night?
If you find yourself snacking at night there are some reasons behind this.
While a lot of people admit they’re susceptible to late night snacking, you may be wondering if there is a reason behind this urge. Typically we should get our caloric intake for the day from the larger meals we eat, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and any other snacks we include during the daytime. Late night snacking isn’t something you should do all the time, but we understand that sometimes it’s just unavoidable! If you didn’t eat enough for dinner, or your meals were sporadic throughout the day, there’s a greater chance you might find yourself hungry later at night. But there are a few other reasons you may find yourself turning to snacks after dark.
- Not eating complete meals. When you’re not eating enough at each meal, you may find yourself still hungry later in the day. Our bodies need a certain amount of calories, vitamins, and minerals to operate properly, and if you’re finding yourself hungry after dinnertime, it could be because you’re eating less than what your body is asking for.
- Boredom. Sometimes people find that they turn to food out of boredom. While this can happen during the day, it may be the reason you’re turning to snacks late at night. If you take a minute to ask yourself if you’re really hungry, or you’re just looking for something to do, you may find that it’s not your stomach that’s asking for the food.
- Emotions. Emotions such as stress, anger, or sadness may be triggering your desire to snack late at night. Using food to alleviate these feelings isn’t a great way to stay on track with your weight loss goals.
- Hormonal imbalance. Some people may find they have a hormonal imbalance that is leading them to eat later at night. Make sure you speak to your health care provider about this to see if this is something that’s affecting you.
Having a late night snack is fine once in a while, especially if you’re busy working on a project or you’re having a fun time with friends and family. Doing this consistently may mean that there are other issues surrounding your eating habits that you may want to discuss with your doctor. While there are a variety of reasons why you’re experiencing hunger later at night, there are ways you can try and limit these snacks and stick to your weight loss goals!
Ways to limit your late night snacking so you can lose weight
Yes you can still reach your weight loss goals when you find ways to limit late night snacking!
We’re all for a good snack, but sometimes overdoing it can start to interfere with your weight loss goals. Snacking isn’t bad, but there are some things you can do throughout the day to try and limit yourself from late snacking on the regular.
- Keep healthy habits in mind. When you’re trying to develop a healthy lifestyle and lose weight, it’s important to keep healthy habits in mind. This means being aware of what you’re doing throughout the day that can help you reach those weight loss goals. Incorporating time for exercise, getting good sleep, and ensuring you’re getting the fuel your body needs to be at its best are all essential. If you aren’t making it a point to eat healthy, filling meals throughout the day, your body could be telling you something when you feel the urge to snack at night.
- Manage your emotions (especially stress!). Stress is tough, but it’s always going to be a part of our lives. The trick is to find a way to manage it and reduce it that works for you. Turning to food or sugary drinks (including alcohol) to mitigate stress isn’t a good idea, and can have major impacts on your health. Instead when you start to feel triggered by a strong emotion such as sadness or anger, turn to something else to cope instead. You could try taking deep breaths, taking a walk outside, or talking to a friend or family member. If you need help finding ways that work for you, consider speaking with a professional to manage your desire to turn to food in response to emotions.
- Eat balanced, and eat enough. This can’t be said enough. In order to keep your body fueled, you need to eat a variety of items. Following the food groups, ensure you’re getting a balanced amount of fruits, vegetables, protein, whole wheats, and dairy that will not only keep your body at its best, but will also keep you full. Make it a point to ensure you’re getting enough protein throughout your day, either from meat options or non meat options such as legumes. This can help you feel fuller for longer, and prevent you from getting late night cravings.
- Stay hydrated. Sometimes you may feel like you’re hungry when in reality, you’re just thirsty. Staying hydrated and drinking water throughout the day is another great way to help you feel full and prevent snacking later on. Taking a sip of water before you turn to food is a good way to be more aware of what’s happening when it comes to your snacking habits.
Healthy late night snacks that won’t break your diet
Try these options if you want a late night snack, but you need it to be healthy!
If you’re trying to lose weight, it’s important that your meal and snack choices are helping you, and not hurting you. That’s why developing healthy habits around snacking are necessary to meet your weight loss goals. Try incorporating some of our suggestions to help reduce your late night snacking, but if you do get the urge, consider turning to these healthy snack ideas!
WonderSlim Pea Protein Chips
If you love crunchy snacks, and want an alternative to potato chips, the WonderSlim Pea Protein chips are for you! They’re made with pea protein and come in three delicious flavors plus a variety pack option—you may forget you’re eating healthy! With only 120-130 calories in each serving, they’re the perfect proportion to help fill you up late at night.
WonderSlim Protein Pretzels
Love the salty, satisfying taste of pretzels but wish you could eliminate the heavy salt and carbs? Then you need to add WonderSlim Protein Pretzels to your late night healthy snacking routine! These super crunchy pretzels have 12g of protein and 4g of fiber per serving, and only 120 calories and 7g of net carbs. With such a smooth, buttery taste, these pretzels are an amazing snack all on their own, but feel free to pair them with your favorite healthy dip!
WonderSlim Protein Snack Crisps
If you love the flavor of party mixes, but want a healthier alternative, consider picking up the WonderSlim Protein Snack Crisps. With two delicious flavors, 10 grams of protein, and only 140 calories in each serving, this is sure to keep you full (in a healthy way!) when you’re snacking late at night.
WonderSlim Protein Cracker Snack Chips
Want something that has a little crunch? Then you’ll definitely want to try out the WonderSlim Protein Crunchers. Each serving has 10g of protein, 130 calories, and 3g of fat or less, making them the perfect way to say goodbye to hunger pangs. These chips are a healthy alternative to regular chips, which have a lot of calories and salt. Whether you choose the Cheddar or Honey Mustard flavor, these savory snacks will keep you full and won’t compromise your diet.
WonderSlim Popper Puff Snacks
Have you been looking for a sweet and crunchy snack that will satisfy your late night cravings, but won’t derail your weight loss goals? Then you’ve got to try our protein popper puffs that are designed to help you stay fuller longer. Packing 15g of protein, 10g net carbs, and just 160-170 calories per serving, you’re going to love how this snack helps you stick to your weight management plan with pre-portioned sizes that are easy to take with you anywhere. You can pick up these filling poppers in either chocolate or caramel peanut flavors, and reach your goals without sacrificing taste!
That’s a wrap on our favorite late night healthy snacks for weight loss!
There are ways to have healthy late night snacks that allow you to stick to your diet and lose weight. Consider checking out all the snacking options available at Diet Direct!