Recipe: Marinated Flank Steak
- 1 flank steak
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Remove the flank steak from the refrigerator 30-40 minutes prior to cooking. Pat dry and season well with kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high hight. (alternatively, heat a gas or charcoal grill to high heat and clean the grates well)
- Sear the flank steak 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the meat to continue to cook for another 5-6 minutes using residual heat.
- Check for doneness: Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the steak - 120°F for very rare, 125°F for rare, or 130°F for medium rare. Flank steak should be served rare or medium rare, otherwise it may be too dry.
- If the steak isn't done enough to your liking, return the steak and pan to medium high heat for a few minutes.
- Remove the steak from the pan to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes, covered with aluminum foil.
- Cut the meat into very thin slices, at an angle, across the grain of the meat. (This way you break through the tough long muscle fibers.)
Recipe provided by: Salt & Charm