Our Top High Protein Meal Plans for Weight Loss
If you’re trying to lead a healthy lifestyle, chances are you’re following a good diet that’s full of a variety of foods, and making sure you’re staying active. Although it can be difficult at times, ensuring you’re doing these two important actions will help you lose weight, if that’s your goal. Sustainable weight loss is possible, but you need to make sure you’re putting in the effort, and while there are a variety of ways to lose weight, one of the most tried and true methods is to feed your body high quality food that keeps you full.
One of the best ways to do just that is with a high protein diet that takes advantage of meals that are centered around protein. But what is a high protein meal plan, and how do you know if it’s for you? Glad you asked, because in today’s article, we’re covering topics related to:
- High protein meal plans and how they relate to weight loss
- The benefits of high protein meals
- The best way to get more protein into your daily routine
What is a high protein meal plan?
Why are high protein meals so popular with folks who want to lose weight?
If one of your health goals involves losing some extra weight, you might want to see if a high protein diet is right for you. Lots of people have had success losing extra weight when they start to include more protein throughout their day. It’s always a good idea to check first with your doctor to determine if you are a good candidate for a high protein diet. Doctors don’t recommend doing this if you have kidney or liver issues, as this can interfere with how your body breaks down and absorbs protein.
If you’ve been given the green light for a high protein diet, that’s great news, because there are lots of ways you can start to change your eating habits. However, you still may be wondering how high protein meals can help you lose weight. By including more protein at meal times and as snacks, you’re not only nourishing your body with essential protein, but you’re helping your body feel fuller, while eating less. Protein takes longer for the body to digest, which is why after a meal you may not feel hungry for a few hours.
When you’re not worried about snacking or when you’ll have time to eat again, you’re free to go through your day feeling great—and having the energy you need to get active. Some high protein diets limit the amount of carbs you consume on a daily basis, but you don’t have to excessively cut carbs if you don’t want to. You just need to be aware of what calories you’re consuming, and ensure you’re getting the vitamins and minerals your body needs, with a calorie deficit at the end of the day. You can balance that however makes sense with your preferences! After all, we’re more likely to stick to diets and meal plans that allow us to eat foods that we love and are good for us.
It’s important that you’re aware that you should be eating a variety of foods (including different sources of protein) throughout the day so you’re not missing out on other essential nutrients like fiber or iron. Not including healthy, fiber rich foods like vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes can lead to issues with your gut, and is not a diet that is sustainable.
You should try and branch out and get your protein from different sources, especially if you’re trying to trim down. Some of the best protein packed foods include:
Although red meat like steak isn’t necessarily off the list of good sources of protein, it should probably be consumed in moderation. Red meat and processed meat that is high in saturated fats can increase your cholesterol levels, as well as your risk of heart disease. Try to stick to poultry, fish, or plant-based options for more protein.
Benefits of high protein meals
There are lots of good things to look forward to when you’re on a high protein diet
Adding more protein to your day may help you lose weight, but how do you know if it’s right for you? Here are some of the top benefits of including more protein packed meals to your routine:
- Reduces your appetite. As we mentioned, increasing the amount of protein you consume is a great way to stay fuller for longer. You’ll also find that you need to eat less protein in order to feel more full, since protein intake reduces the hunger hormone ghrelin. Consider making simple swaps such as decreasing the size of rice or other carbs that you eat and include a larger portion of protein.
- Helps build muscle. When you’re trying to lose weight, you’ve got to make sure you’re including both cardio and resistance training. This along with your diet is the cornerstone of losing weight in a sustainable way. Including more protein throughout the day is a great way to make sure your muscles have what they need to grow as you become stronger. Adding more protein can also help prevent muscle mass loss when you do start to lose weight.
- Prevents unnecessary snacking. When you feel full, you’re less likely to be tempted to snack throughout the day. Lots of people find that they snack, even when they’re not hungry, because they’re craving a certain food. Their craving isn’t necessarily related to needing the food because they’re hungry, but because their brain wants a reward. Having more protein throughout the day may help you prevent not just snacking, but also limit cravings.
- Can boost your metabolism. Eating additional protein throughout the day may even be able to increase your metabolism as well. After you eat, your metabolism increases as the body digests the food, which is called the thermic effect of food. Protein specifically has a higher thermic effect compared to fats or carbs, which means your metabolism is higher for longer after consuming protein packed meals.
- Helps the body repair. When you’re working on resistance training, you’ll need to push your muscles so that they can grow. After working out, your muscles need time to repair, and with a diet rich in protein, you’ll find that they recover and repair faster. Protein is a major part of what your muscles are made out of, so increasing your intake will help you build muscle faster.
- Can keep the weight off. Increasing the amount of protein you consume helps you feel fuller by eating less, which is a great way to get to your caloric deficit if you’re trying to lose weight. Keeping the weight off is one of the hardest parts, but when you’re enjoying a diet that’s full of a variety of protein sources, you’re much more likely to stick to it.
Use a protein meal replacement to get more protein into your day
Make sure to include a protein shake if you want to get more protein throughout the day!
If you’re looking for a convenient way to consume more protein in order to meet your weight loss goals, consider adding a WonderSlim Meal Replacement Shake to your daily routine. These shakes are designed to act as a meal replacement, or you can have it as a healthy snack. Made with 15 grams of calcium caseinate protein, you’ll love how these tasty shakes keep you full. The protein digests slowly, releasing amino acids to help your muscles recover from workouts and giving you the energy you need to get through the day. Additionally, this type of protein can also assist with building muscle, which is essential for anyone’s weight loss journey.
These shakes also include 24 vitamins and minerals, 100 calories, and come in eight amazing flavors, as well as a variety pack. These packets are easy to pack with you on the go, and they easily dissolve, giving you a great option for a protein packed meal replacement when you’re short on time.
WonderSlim Meal Replacement Protein Bar
Meal replacement bars are another way to get more protein throughout the day. Image courtesy of Diet Direct.
In addition to shakes, did you know that there are also meal replace bars? That’s right, these deliciously flavored bars pack in 15 grams of protein, have 5 grams of fat, 4-5 grams of fiber, and just 160 calories per serving. These WonderSlim bars are designed to keep you feeling fuller for longer and have 20 vitamins and minerals. With plenty of yummy flavor options, you’ll wonder how we made a satisfying meal replacement bar without all the added sugar, carbs, and calories!
Consider adding more protein to your day in order to reach your weight loss goals!
High protein diets are a great option if you want to lose weight, and keep it off. Your body will not only stay fuller for longer, but you’ll also see the pounds start to come off when you increase your metabolism and start to build muscle.