Celebrate a Gluten-Free Summer
Memorial Day and Labor Day bookend a period when even the most health-conscious eaters among us tend to splurge a bit. While trying to enjoy your favorite summertime holiday cookout without packing on the extra pounds is difficult enough, navigating your way around the typical picnic table spread while also trying to avoid gluten is next to impossible. But it doesn't have to be.
We've put together a quick list of gluten-free menu items that you can enjoy for the big Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day— or any other days you decide to fire up the grill this summer:
- Hamburgers: If you don't want to bother with making your own ground chuck or sirloin patties, grab some Bubba burgers and Udi's buns. Both are gluten-free and easy to find, as are Heinz ketchup, French's mustard, and Vlasic pickles.
- Hot Dogs: Gluten-free hot dogs are as easy to find as gluten-free burgers. Look for options from Applegate Farms, Oscar Mayer, and others, and grab some Udi's hot dog buns, Heinz ketchup, French's mustard, and Vlasic sweet relish to go with them.
- Baked beans: This might be the easiest item on your shopping list. All of Bush's beans are gluten-free, including the ones with bacon.
- Salads: It's easy to toss together a gluten-free salad, whether you choose from greens, potato salad, pasta salad, or egg salad — or if you want to get creative and Google some other gluten-free recipes. Try mixing in some fruits and nuts, and look for Briana's or Kraft (be sure to check the label) when grabbing some gluten-free dressing.
- Watermelon: No cookout is complete without watermelon. Not only is watermelon one of the healthiest fruits you can find, it is also gluten-free.
Your last-minute, gluten- (and hassle-) free shopping list
If you've gathered all of the items above, but your summer spread still seems spread a bit too thin, we can help there, too.
Need some snacks? Check out our tasty Hickory BBQ Pea Chips, Savory Crisps, Granola Trail Mix, Protein Pretzels, or Cheddar Crunchers. You can also check out the new Snackergy lineup of healthy, high protein and gluten-free snacks.
We also offer a wide variety of shakes and smoothies, including Diet Fruit Drinks like Tangy Lemonade, Tangy Orange, Berry Yogurt Smoothie, Strawberry Smoothie, and Kiwi & Berry Diet Fruit Drink.
Going gluten-free doesn't have to mean going without your favorite baked goods. There are a wide range of gluten free flours (learn more here). Or make popular picnic side items with pre-made mixes like Aaron's Favorite Cornbread and Muffins, or Living Now's Gluten Free Organic Brownie Mix in case you're in a hurry to get your backyard party started.